The West Memphis School District envisions students who are inspired to become life-long learners, prepared to succeed in post-secondary education and careers, by reaching their full potential as contributors within a global society.
The West Memphis School District is committed to educating all students to the highest standards of excellence by providing a rigorous and varied curriculum in a safe and respectful environment that will empower them to become productive citizens of a culturally diverse society.
- We believe in a strong, collaborative partnership among parents, school, and community.
- We believe all students need to acquire knowledge and skills needed for success in the real world.
- We believe each student, regardless of race, ethnicity, disabilities, gender, or socioeconomic background, has equal opportunities in all facets of the educational setting.
- We believe the curriculum should be data-driven, rigorous, and diversified in ways to challenge and engage each student to reach his or her full potential.
- We believe in supporting our faculty and staff’s ongoing, comprehensive professional development in their respective fields.
- We believe in utilizing advanced technology to enrich and inspire learning and teaching for all students and staff.
- We believe all students, staff, and community will be treated with dignity, tolerance, and respect to promote a safe and orderly environment for learning.
- We believe parents and guardians should be actively involved in the education of their children through programs provided by the district.
- To maintain a safe and respectful environment in well-maintained facilities.
- To meet and exceed the State’s minimum requirements for Annual Measurable Objectives.
- To actively engage all students in a rigorous and challenging curriculum.
- To access all available resources for continuous improvement.
The West Memphis School District, located in West Memphis, Arkansas in the heart of the Mississippi Delta, is the largest school district in the Arkansas Delta region and the 14th largest in the state. West Memphis is located across the Mississippi River from Memphis, Tennessee and is included in the metro population count which exceeds one million. The population of West Memphis is approximately 28,259 with 56% African American, 42% Caucasian,1% Hispanic and the remaining 1% other. The community is very supportive of the school system.
The West Memphis School District student population is just over 5,300 enrolled in seven elementary schools (grades K-6), three junior high schools (grades 7-9) and one high school (grades 10-12).
The district employs 473 certified staff and 262 classified staff. Our certified staff has an average of 17 years of experience. Twelve of our teachers are nationally board certified while 219 (46%) have advanced degrees. The district's starting salary is the fifth highest in the state with 100% of our teachers highly qualified.